Paired with The Perfect Accomplice Sauvignon Blanc
~ Two-cook recipe ~
Scallops and Chile Banana Sauce
1/3-1/2 lb large fresh scallops
2 Tbs rice vinegar
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice – 1 lemon
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 large tomato (1/2 cup diced)
1 (dried)) poblano (ancho) chile
½ onion diced
1-2 cloved garlic
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
½ Tbs tamari
Farina and Asparagus
½ cup Farina
½ lb or 8 stalks Asparagus
1 tsp olive oil
salt & pepper
1) Boil 1 cup water, turn off heat and immediately soak the chile in the water.
2) Dice the tomato and place into blender – let sit.
3) Dice the onion and sauté in a skillet with 1 Tbs olive oil, ½ Tbs tamari and 2 cloves of garlic pressed in for 5 minutes. Put into blender with the tomatoes.
4) When Cook Two adds the chile to the blender, blend until smooth and return mix to the skillet.
5) Add 2 Tbs of rice vinegar to skillet and saute another 2 minutes.
6). Mash the banana and add to the sauce along with the chopped basil. Turn off heat.
7). In the second skillet, melt 1 Tbs butter with 2 Tbs lemon juice over medium heat, and pan sear the scallops on both sides taking care not to overcook them (3-5 minutes or until they are just translucent)
8) Heat the sauce gently
9) Using pasta dishes, serve scallops right away in pool of chili sauce on top of a sea of Farina.
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees if not using stovetop grill.
2) Rinse the scallops and pat dry.
3) Squeeze 2 Tbs of lemon juice onto scallops.
4) Rinse, remove leaves from stems and chop 2 Tbs of basil leaves
5) Break off the ends of the asparagus wherever they break, rinse and pat dry.
6) On the baking tray, (or in a dish if using stovetop grill) mix 1 tsp olive oil with the asparagus, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
7) Remove chili from soaking water and discard the water. Remove the stem and seeds from the chili and put into the blender. (wash your hands well).
8) Put the asparagus in the preheated oven in the bottom third of the oven for 5-7 minutes (set timer)
9) Add ½ cup of cereal to 1 ½ cups of water with dash of salt in the saucepan and bring to boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 2 minutes or until desired consistency (dry and creamy but not watery).
10) Check the asparagus – they should be somewhat tender but still crisp and hold their shape.
11) With a ladle, serve the Farina in the Pasta Dishes
12) After Cook One places the scallops and sauce on the Farina, serve the asparagus placed on the sides of the scallops.